Sewing & Fashion Designing 101
This is the foundation course that introduces interested individuals into the field of sewing and fashion designing. It explains in great details how relevant it is to know how to sew and introduces beginners into how to use a sewing machine, how to measure, make straight lines, the relevance of knowing different body shapes, fabrics, how to make a ruffles, how to attach zippers, how to fold, what seam allowances etc.
PURPOSE AND ORGANIZATION: TheQEffectz Sewing course for beginners is a foundation course that requires 1 hour to 5 hours of in-class work, and maybe five hours outside of class on study and other activities each over, the 12 weeks’ semester. Students taking this course should plan on spending up to 15 hours a week on the course. Competencies will be listed for each class.
The course follows the Nigerian and International standards of how fabrics are joined together to create various styles. It also pinpoints the most basic aspects of sewing or fashion designing. Because of how relevant this aspect of training is, we will spend much time on the various topics than others, on an average of about one week per topic.
- To acquaint students with the basic terminologies of sewing and fashion designing
- To acquaint beginners with the common sewing methods and tools and their uses.
- To acquaint students with the various basic sewing projects.
- To familiarize students with creative ways of designing and creating new styles.
PASSING POINT: 80%
- Visit TheQEffectz Online Shop to view any additional books, e-patterns and videos, relevant to this class. They are made available for free or for sale.
- Supplies :Materials you will need for this class are:
- Good Internet connection
- Mobile phone or PC/Laptop
- Your Student guide. Don’t have it? click here to download it now.
- Basic mathematics. At least you should be able to know how to add, subtract or multiply
- A sewing machine (A simple sewing machine with 1-3 basic stitches is fine for now)
- A sewing needle
- A couple of colored threads, white and black inclusive
- A scissors
- Tailor chalks
- Tracing wheel
- Fabric of any choice. Don’t worry in every class, I’ll let you know what type of fabric you will need to work with
- Rulers( French curve, hip curve and straight
- Measuring tape
- Measuring table
- Pressing iron( any is fine for now…it doesn’t have to be a steam iron)
- And your sheer destination to slay this class
3.Good internet connection: As a student, you’ll need a good internet connection to participate in our classes, download or view lessons.
- READING & STUDYING
Most of the required reading will be reading of materials posted in each class. Reading additional e-books is recommended for every topic studied. The material presented by the tutor will seldom duplicate what is presented on these available e-books, so these books should be used as add-ons to complement the online class materials. The suggested books will be listed after each class. It is therefore best that you read and practicalize the contents of the classes as well as suggested books before or after the dates of study proffered by the tutor.
To be able to read any of these e-books (after download) from your mobile devices, laptops or pcs, you will need an PDF, EPUB or DOC. Reader. Click here, if you do not already have these applications installed on the above-mentioned devices.
Videos clips and Online video tutorials are incorporated into the beginners’ online courses. To view these clips or video tutorials, you will need a flash player and video player. To get any of this required application, Click here.
- TASKS & ASSIGNMENT
Ungraded assignments for testing yourself on class explanations and other activities will be available at the end of every class. Answers and explanations will be proffered the next day in class by the tutor where necessary. Tests might however be prepared at the tutor’s discretion, day and time. Such tests will be made available as in-class quizzes. These quizzes will thus give you a good idea about how well you are learning the courses. These tests will be in the form of self-check quizzes of multiple choice answers. In the place of more practical quizzes, students will be expected to prepare projects, make a short video of how they were done and upload them via their class assignment portal
- FINAL EXAMS: These questions will be prepared towards the end of the session by the various tutors. Also, in the form of practicals, the students will be expected to submit in their works (which could be in the form of photos or videos) to be graded by tutors
- Duration This course lasts for 12 weeks
- Activities All
- Class Sizes
- Years Old
- Available Seats
Introduction: Fundamentals of Sewing
Basic Sewing & Fashion Designing Equipment &Their Uses
Everything you need to know about Sewing machines
Sewing Stitches & Needles
Know your Fabrics
Basic Sewing Lessons
- Body Shapes
- How to take accurate body measurements
- How to Sew A Straight Line
- How to back-Stitch with & without the lever
- Turning and Top-stitching
- How to add Elastic
- How to make Gather or Ruffles
- How to Insert darts
- How to attach zipper
- How to make buttonhole by hand
- Pressing & Ironing
- Sewing Assignment 6
Basic Sewing Projects for Beginners
- How to sew a table cloth
- Sewing Assignment 7
- How to sew an Apron
- Sewing Assignment 8
- How to sew a pillow case
- Sewing Assignment 9
- How to sew a Basic Blouse
- Sewing Assignment 10
- How to sew a straight skirt
- Sewing Assignment 11
- How to sew a Palazzo(Wide Pants)
- Sewing Assignment 12
- How to sew an A-line Blouse
- How to sew a Circle Skirt